Thursday, March 1, 2018

Golly Dolly

When I went to the bike show in Indy recently, there were people handing out information about cool places for riding motorcycles, most of which were down south. One of the folks was handing out info about Sevierville, Tennessee. I was there once and I've been thinking about taking another trip down that way so I picked up some literature and had a quick chat with the man. Dolly Parton's name came up in the conversation and I remembered hearing about her giving out $10K to all the families that had been affected by the fires down that way. I hadn't heard about the second round. That's right, she gave everyone another $10K at a later date. And as if that's not enough, she has been giving away books to all the young-un's down that way for quite awhile now. In fact, she just gave away her 100 millionth book. What a woman! Get the details here.


Here she is with a little help from a couple of her friends.

2 comments:

Rich in Ky said...

Yes, Dolly walks the walk. And yes, you must put it on your bucket list to ride down there, up to clingmans dome, and down into Cherokee, NC. Also ride the tail of the dragon at Deal's Gap. One of my back burner projects is to mechanically refurb a Triumph Spitfire convertible so the wife & I can make the run on four wheels.

R

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I wish my brother was still alive. He was four years younger than I and even though we both rode all the time, the age difference was just enough that we never rode much together once we got out on our own and started families, college, etc. A few years before his passing, he bought a Kaw Concours and was doing a lot of traveling. We had talked about doing something together and a run down there in Tenn & Va would have been just the ticket. I picked up some info on Deal's Gap and all that at the bike show plus the "Triple Nickle" and few other routes in Ohio. I'm still working on putting some plans together for the summer - might get a bike trip worked into the equation. Especially if I get a new bike.

I did a lot of work on a Triumph TR3 for a buddy of mine. He's been nursing this project for about 30 years but it should be out on the road this year and I've got a ride promised to me. A friend's dad had one when I was about 12-13 and he took me for a "spirited" ride one time. I still remember that like it was yesterday. A Spitfire would be just about as cool.