Monday, March 12, 2018

Monday, Monday

The birthday party for my aunt came off well. She was surprised and happy. Lot of friends and family in attendance. She's doing pretty well for someone who just turned 90.

One of the relatives brought some old photographs to the party. We were only able to identify a few of the people in one of them that looked to have been a big family gathering of some sort. The photo was probably taken late 20's/early 30's. We took a group photo at the birthday party and I can't even identify all of the people in that one. I'm going to print a couple of copies and get all the names right so if someone cares enough 75 or 80 years from now to try and figure out who these people are, at least they'll have the names.

My brother stopped by the house after the party to check out the family history I've been working on. We've got a plan now to get it finished up and published. I've got just a bit more to do on my wife's side of the family and then I can call it done. It'll be good to get that finished. Typing everything all up has been a pain in the ass but I'm glad I've got things written down. Like it or not, with just two exceptions, my brothers and cousins are the "old" generation now.

Talked to Cuzzin Ricky and his brother at the party. Looks like the three of us will be going to Alaska. Rick and I can go most anytime but the his brother is still working so we have to get a date that will work with his vacation time but looks like it's a go! Hot damn!



Anniversary today for the Missus and I. 47 years and still going strong. The photo was taken about 50 years ago along the Erie tracks that ran by her grandparents house. My older brother and his wife said to mark the calendars for a day in September when they'll be celebrating their 50th. Pretty rare in this day and age to have marriages last as long as both mine and my brother's. Might not say much for my brother and I but sure says plenty about the women we married. Bless them both!

As Uncle Pete used to say: "Keep your end gate up."


3 comments:

Frankie Flood said...

Happy Anniversary! Hope you both had a GREAT day!

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Thanks! The "Old Girl" and I started dating when we were seniors in high school, so we've been together 50 years. Hasn't always been easy but I'll take most of the blame for that. While I'm not all that crazy about growing old, it's good to have someone to share the future and all the past memories with.

Frankie Flood said...

Agreed! I know I've caused my wife grief over the years but there is no one that understands me more than she does. My wife and I started dating when she was in high school and I was just starting college. We've been married almost eighteen and been together for for almost twenty five years. I love that we have a history that goes back to working in a small restaurant in our home town and me mopping floors for her so we could go out after work. Some things don't change; I just shoveled the back deck for her tonight and I wouldn't have it any other way! The positive manner in which you spoke of your wife is one of the main reasons I started reading your blog (along with the stuff you build and your point of view!!). I'm happy for you both and wish you many more happy years!