Saturday, March 17, 2018

The Missing Link

Frankie Flood left a comment in the post that showed the small drill press hold-down. Apparently, it's called a fingerplate and he left a link in the comments to a site that has a nice explanation of how it was made with photos and in English, too. All the threaded parts are metric 4mm which would work out to being equal to a #8 machine screw. I'm going to make one up but I think I'll use #10 threads on the stud and hold-down simply because I'm kind of ham-fisted and I think the larger size will be more durable and convenient. I don't know if I'll cut the hold-down groove in the edges. I've got that nice little toolmakers vise I can put it in that should work just fine. I could set it on some parallels or I could machine a rabbet around the edge of the plate so it would sit down on top of the vise jaws when it gets clamped in. Regardless, thanks Frankie for the link.

I posted this one a few years back - the link to where it came from no longer works so all I know is there it is. That plus I really like the look of this thing. I'm thinking a similar look for the BSA might do it for Surly and I. I'll have to get his take on it. I'm planning on tackling the sidecovers for the Beezer as soon as I put the finishing touches on the motorbike.

I'm also working on a little fixture to modify a couple of clutch and brake levers for one of my old Sprints. The originals were steel and made to fit into brackets that were welded to the handlebars. I'm going to use aluminum levers from a Sportster but I have to mill a bit off the part that slips into the handlebar mount. I don't have a lot left to finish on the Sprint. Even if it doesn't actually run, I want it to the point where all it would take to make it go is gas and a battery.


Here's where I left off. I'll keep working on it off and on until I've got it all put together. I get the levers done and then I can get the clutch and brake cables made up and the front fender mounted. Nothing hard here, just needs my attention.


The latest Cycle World e-mail has a short write-up on the Royal Enfield Himalayan. A tad over weight and under powered but it's got its place according to them. Especially when you factor in the price. I'm thinking there should be one in the dealers within the next month or so. I definitely want to check one out.

1 comment:

Frankie Flood said...

I was showing a friend what you had found and I stumbled across these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgBM-JVRWgU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5T0WenjIwA