Sunday, December 30, 2018

2018


Number one highlight of the year has to be the Alaskan trip. Great time, even better because I had the opportunity to go with my two cousins. Only three more states to see until I've been in all 50. Hoping to get two more this coming year.


Bike trip on the Cowboy trail was a fun one. That's the self-service pool hall in the photo. Definitely an unexpected surprise. Maybe do a motorcycle tour in 2019. I wouldn't mind another bicycle trip, however.


Photo taken from the B-25. I've now been up in all three of the bombers of the Collings Foundation. They've added a Skyraider to the fleet. Maybe see about going up in that one next year.



They can take up to three people at a time. If you sit in front it's $900.00 - too much for me. They've got a couple of other seats for half that. I'm not sure where you would sit or if you could even look out but I'll look into it and see if my buddy wants to give it a go. If he's in, I'm in.


And when I'm ranking the big events, can't forget the big pork tenderloin sandwich. Biggest damn sandwich I've ever seen, let alone eaten. Cuzzin Ricky and I enjoyed these immensely - vegan kryptonite. Rick and I had a good year at the races. We went to several open wheel events - champ cars, sprints and midgets. Even made a couple of pavement races. We're already making plans for next year.

Took another CNC class and read a few books. I decided at the beginning of the year not to worry about trying to read 50 on the year but I did manage to read 22. Not too shabby, considering in this day and age there are a lot of people who don't read even one.

Did a couple of 5K race walks and did a bicycle race which helped me pass my stress test with flying colors. Health-wise, doing pretty well for an old guy.

Not exactly a red letter year for the projects but I did finish the motor bike, the sidecar and got the barn veranda erected. Made a good start on the Rickati/trials bike and the 900. Probably would have gotten a bit more done on those if I hadn't of gotten the slant six motor and started to fiddle with that.

Got a new pickup this year. Nothing much to that other than I needed new wheels. I do miss driving the little Veloster, though. Fun little car to drive, good mileage and heated seats. I really do miss the heated seats, especially with all the colder than usual weather we've had this fall and winter so far. At least I don't need to be commuting any more this winter.


Got the new motorbike just in time to make the highlight reel for the year. First time in my life I've ever gotten two new vehicles in the same year. Technically, the truck isn't new since it's a 2016 but close enough. Also, this is only the second new bike I've ever had. The last new one I bought was a little Sprint when I was a senior in high school and now I get a new one when I'm a senior citizen. Quite possibly these will be the last new vehicles I ever buy. I had my old Dodge for fifteen years. If I keep the truck and bike for fifteen I'll be 83 if I'm lucky enough to make it that far.

Most everything has been in the plus column for the year. Had to deal with some health issues with the Missus and it doesn't look like those are going to go away. I wouldn't put falling off the SV and banging it and myself up in the plus column either, but otherwise, I consider myself luckier than most. Health, family, friends and a few bucks in my pocket. Can't really ask for much more. Especially when you look at how many others have suffered this year with the fires, hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and all the rest life can throw at you.

Here's hoping to a good 2019 for all of us.


No comments: