Sunday, December 23, 2018

Things With Wheels


In the photo above is a new "bogie" wheel for my lawn mower. I ran into a post at speed last year and broke one. I hit it hard enough that it bent the deck a bit as well. I stopped by the dealer the other day and picked up a replacement - $16.00 including the grade 8 bolt, the two lock nuts and a flat washer. Other than blades and filters, this is only the second time I've had to buy parts for this thing and both times the parts have been very reasonable. Really happy with the Bad Boy. Also, this is the last thing I needed to do in order to have the mower ready for spring. Ahead of the game on this one!

The parts in the bottom of the photo are for the high school's high mileage vehicle. I'm making a bushing to fit the bore to modify things a bit. Left hand thread on the bushing that will screw in to the sprocket carrier. After it's threaded in I'll pin it to the carrier and then broach a keyway in it. I was going to work on it yesterday but I went into a sneezing jag while welding up the tool box job and then my ribs started hurting again so I called it quits for the day. Maybe finish up the tool box today if the argon holds out and then get the high mileage job indicated and clamped down on the mill.

I did come up with a way to hold the panniers on the new motorcycle. Real simple little piece for each side of the bike that's easy to machine. I do need to get one stainless socket head bolt to complete the job on the bike itself. I'll probably go ahead and make some new clips for the panniers. The opening on the clips now are made to fit over a thinner piece of material than what's on the bike. Since the clips bolt on, I can swap the clips out depending on which bike I'm going to be using them on in less than five minutes.

No comments: