Sunday, July 21, 2019

5K & More


Did the 5K yesterday morning. The skies were pretty cloudy when the race started, so temps were about 80 and there was a little breeze. After I hit about the half-way mark, the sun came out and it started heating up pretty quick. From what I could tell from my vantage point, I had passed all the rest of the walkers - it was hard to tell since some people were alternately walking and running. Since it was going to be hot and I hadn't trained much, I was going to take it a bit easier but when it looked like I might be the "fast" guy, I kept up the pace. However, when the race was over there wasn't any awards ceremony and the online results didn't differentiate between the walkers and runners. Out of 238 total entrants I finished 92nd overall walking it while my running buddy came in 31st. Not too shabby for either one of us. Nice run for a first-time event in a small town. The proceeds will be going to the building trades program. That too is a good thing.


I was looking for a little music on my way to the race and popped in my Best of Merle Haggard CD and this one came into the rotation. Rather timely with what's been going on in the news of late, I would think. I've never really been a love it or leave it kind of guy and I know the loudest voices aren't going to leave or they would've already moved to Canada like they promised after the last election. In addition to the unrest here at home, seems the whole world has gone a little looney tunes as well. One might  be wise to start making some plans if you haven't already.

I got a quote for a whole house generator last week - not really to be prepared for the zombies or some such - but primarily to make sure the Missus can breathe in the heat. However, it would have been nice last winter when the power went out when it was -24 below. The guy figured I would need a 16KW generator to run everything but I think I could get by nicely with an 11KW. We don't need to run everything in the house all at once if the power goes out. This would be for emergencies only, after all.  The fuel requirements between the two are just about double for the larger one. I did a bit of simple arithmetic (as opposed to algebra) and figured out that even if my propane tank out back was half full, I could run the generator continuously for six days. I have a tank I run the heater in my shop with that would give me a couple of more days if it was close to being full. The guy quoting me the generator said he could put a tee fitting in the line during the install to make that happen. Only thing left now is to decide if I'm going to pull the trigger.

The weather is supposed to cool down today and for the next week or so - hit 96 in the shade here at the shack yesterday. Going to try and finish a little landscaping job and then get out to the shop later.

No comments: