Sunday, July 7, 2019

Air Compressor & Dragstrip



I took a look at the air compressor over the weekend. It's normally covered up in a wooden box I made for it to keep the chips from the milling machine getting into it. After pulling the compressor out and pulling the cover off, I found that the motor overload had tripped. I hit the reset button and all was well again. However, I found a big mouse nest in there made from insulation out of the wall. That's probably what caused the motor to over heat by blocking the vents in the box. I decided to jettison the box, so I re-installed the belt guard. I touched up the paint on a couple of the parts on top of the compressor pump that the mice had "compromised" and changed the oil.

I could hear it leaking air while using it before it quit and I thought it was the piping that ran into the regulator. Come to find out it was a small crack along the bottom of the tank. I brazed it up and primed it and then pushed it back into the hole.




I rode the Himalayan to the dragstrip yesterday. They were holding a special vintage, three-day event. There weren't a lot of cars but they had some interesting ones like the old school Comet. I used to have a '48 Chevy similar to the "convertible" in the top photo. I also owned a '62 like the one in the bottom photo. Mine was an Impala SS with a 327. This one had a 409. I didn't get a chance to hear it run, though - would have liked to have heard it.

Nice day to be out and about - especially on your new motorcycle. Didn't see a single drag bike there, though. Should really get the 900 going and make a few runs. Maybe after the grandson and I get the Rapido running. I found my box of parts and picked some new fuel line for it, by the way.