Thursday, July 4, 2019

Goin' Through Them Chainses


The grandsons came down again for the day and we got the motorbike running. We had to sort a few things and there was a bit of a learning curve with the oldest boy on how to coordinate the clutch and the throttle but I'm pretty happy with how the bike performs. The one boy shot a couple of videos of the maiden voyages but they wouldn't load for some reason. I'll try and get something up in the future.


The drive chain broke after just a couple of laps around the barn. It appeared to just be a chain failure rather than anything wrong with the bike itself. I saw it break and I think one of the pins pulled out of the side plates. As an old cyclist, this immediately brought to mind Buddy Miles and "going through them chainses" - Brother Johnny would have approved. After searching around the shop for much, much longer than should have been necessary, I found the spare parts for the bike and repaired the chain and we were back in business.

Grandson the younger wasn't able reach the pedals safely so he didn't get to ride. We pulled out the Rapido and he commenced to start on the clean up process. I've got some parts for that thing around here that I need to find. I pulled the air cleaner housing off so I can weld it. Someone had attempted to solder it so that needs to be cleaned off first. However, the air compressor wouldn't kick on so we couldn't use the sand blaster. Worked fine last week, so who knows. Definitely could use it for working on the Rapido.

Happy Independence Day!


No comments: