Sunday, July 14, 2019

Update



I had to modify some shelves for the new gig. The boss bought a couple of used cabinets, ordered some shelves and they didn't fit. Called back to see why and was told they didn't make shelves for that cabinet any longer but he could have them for half price if he wanted to figure out how to make them work. That's where I came in. I had to shorten them up 3/8" and then weld the end back on. I also had to cut the flange off the back side that ran the full 48" length of the shelf. The fix worked well - just had to study things a bit before coming up with a plan of action. I TIG welded the end caps back on. Looks good, works good.


I painted up the air cleaner parts for the Rapido after TIG welding the brackets back on to the center section - I've been doing a lot with the TIG. The brackets were originally projection welded to a backer in side the air box that were spot welded in. The whole air cleaner set-up is rather involved when you consider it's just a little 125cc single. The twin "turbo" look added some sex appeal but quite a bit of tooling expense. Two strokes always make some intake noise but I doubt that was much of a consideration back in '68.

I used some Rust-Oleum silver metallic paint. It seems to be a fairly close color match but even if it isn't, it looks a lot better than it was. We're not looking for a primo restoration here, just something that looks half-way decent for an eleven year old kid learning to ride. I've got two small Harleys and two grandsons. They can each have one to ride now when they come to Grandpa's house and I'll have a couple of projects in the win column. Plus, I'm scoring big points with the boys.

No comments: