Monday, July 11, 2022

Show Time

 



Cuzzin Ricky and I went to a car and machinery show yesterday. Top photo is of an Olds that's similar to the one I bought new in '71. Mine wasn't a 442, just a regular 2 dr hardtop, 350 with a 2 bbl carb. Kept it for about 25 years.

Bottom photo is a '62 Chevy Impala. I had one of those as well. Not a convertible but an SS model with a 327 and a 4 speed. I got rid of it when I bought the Cutlass right after I got married. The one in the photo above had 350 emblems on the front fender, so I imagine the owner swapped in a new motor with the fuel injection and all the trimmings so it'll have some more horsepower and run on the new ethanol diluted fuel.


John Deere "G". My older brother had one of these when I was in high school. He started farming when he was in high school, buying used equipment as he could afford it and kept improving until he went to college and got into the academic end of agriculture. He retired a couple years ago and is farming again. He's got a nice spread out in Kansas. Cuzzin Ricky and I were out there for a visit a few years ago - had a great time on that trip. We stopped at Brownells in Iowa and the Sprint Car Hall of Fame. Caught a race while we were there. My sister-in-law was a terrific hostess. Depending on what happens with buying the quick change for the jitney, might make it out that way again fairly soon.

I woke up to some sad news yesterday morning. One of my former students died. This is the third one in only a couple of months. They were all about the same age - been out of school for quite a while, families and jobs. One of them boxed for me as well - took him to the Golden Gloves a couple of times. The other two ended up welding, one as an iron worker. He did some blacksmithing as well. I hadn't seen any of them in a couple of years but were all talented young men. I don't know the details on the cause of death of two of them, but I suspect drugs or alcohol might have played a part. Damn shame.   

No comments: