Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Tee Shirt Tuesday #37

 


Here's another one from the car show on Sunday. While I personally don't care for the looks of a new design tire and wheel combo on these old classics, I like the looks of the old T'Birds. I'm not sure what year this one is - they used the same body style 58 -60. My dad had one of these. I think his was a '60. He was always driving used cars or trucks, never a new one that I can recall. When he started selling real estate, he did buy himself a new Chrysler, but that was after most of us had left home. 

Besides the Chrysler and the Thunderbird, I remember there being quite a variety of cars and trucks at the house when I was a kid. I don't remember the exact years of all of them but there was a '54 Chevy station wagon, a big Buick, a Rambler, a 50-53 Chevy pickup, 58? Ford pickup, Ford Ranchero, '59 Chevy, '62 Chevy, a '62 Corvair, the "Brown Bomber" - a 60 Dodge - and probably a couple more I can't remember right now. My older brother had a '57 Chevy, a Studebaker Lark and a Corvair. My younger brother had a '67 Dodge Charger and a Kaw 900 while he was at home. I had a '48 Chevy as my first car and a '62 Chevy while living at home, plus a couple of motorcycles. We were quite the internal combustion engine powered family.


I ordered a piece of 9/16" cold rolled for making "U" bolts for the rear spring on the jitney and while I was at it, I added a sample pack of various sizes of the same to the order. It's much cheaper to buy the sample pack than ordering the various sizes individually, plus I'm sure I'll need some of this sooner or later on a project and we all know it won't be cheaper later. 


This is what I've been using to sharpen the drill bits. It does a dandy job, just takes a while. This is one of the first models they came out with. Their web site shows the newer models - the top of the line will sharpen up to 3/4" bits and the angle can be adjusted. Mine only goes to 1/2" and is fixed at 118 degrees. They have a hobbyist model for less than $50.00 which would be a good investment for a guy doing some metal work at home. There are very few people who can properly sharpen a small twist bit on a grinder accurately and if you're going to sharpen more than a dozen bits, the Drill Doctor will be cheaper than buying replacement bits.

Lastly, what you've all been waiting for, tee shirt #37!


I think I did this route twice, once as a runner and once as a walker. It's a 5K as most races these days are. In fact, I went to the gym Saturday wearing a shirt from a 10 K (6.2 miles) I did back in the day. Bazooka Joe commented that was his first race and wished there were more of them around instead of all the 5K events, sort of hinting the 5K races were for sissies. I bragged that my first event was a 10.5 miler, when men were men before he was even born. Joe got a chuckle out of that, since Joe truly is a tough guy - a little bit of that toxic masculinity stuff thrown around between an old duffer and a professional boxer. Joe fights for the Mid-America Super Middleweight title August 6th by the way. It's in Cedar Rapids, Iowa about a week before I'm supposed to head out to Oklahoma for the Golden Gloves Nationals or I'd see about going out there. Now that I've had the cooties, I'm not too concerned about getting back out again.


No comments: