Saturday, July 2, 2022

Hard Times

 


Just a couple of things as we start the weekend. Surly and I had a little conversation about Edward Abbey recently. Might be time for me to read Desert Solitaire again. 


I did get this one read - interesting story by a man who survived WWII in German concentration camps. I finished it up when I took the wife's car in for an oil change yesterday. After about a half hour the service writer said the valve cover gasket was leaking, which I knew, but it wasn't leaking enough to worry about low oil level, just an occasional odor. However, she said the repair was under warranty, so if I wanted to wait a bit longer they could have it fixed right away. Under warranty on a 2014? Pleasant surprise for sure. 

While waiting I took a stroll around the showroom to look at all the new cars - just kidding - there weren't any new cars. Also, when I went to check out the card reader wasn't working. Fortunately, I had enough cash to square up but it took everything I had. In addition to my folding money, I had to dig an extra dollar in silver out of the other pocket. This is not the first time I've encountered the malfunctioning card reader. I always carry a bit of cash for small purchases and for just such a time when I can't pay by card. I need to check my bug out bag in the truck and see if I've got any cash in it. I don't think that I do but with the way things are going might not be a bad idea to keep a bit of "mad" money in it.
------------------------------------------------

Here's a couple of facts gleaned from Coyote Prime 2: 60% of the people here in the US are living paycheck to paycheck, In fact, if you have $10 and no debt, you're richer than 15% of the people. 71% of the men and 62% of the women are overweight or obese. 

No money but overweight. Those things used to be covered in Family and Consumer Science. Everyone should know how balance their budget and how to plan healthy meals. Even with that knowledge, you still have to have some will power, though.

--------------------------------------------------

I was headed out to do the chores Thursday evening and noticed water on the floor of the basement. Seems the water line to the ice maker on the fridge was leaking. It's a new line that was just put in when the water filtration system was installed. I pulled the fridge out and got the leak stopped but aggravated my chest when moving things. So I cancelled working in the shop, but I did get some goose berries picked. There's a pie in my future and lots of red raspberries on the bushes. Growing your own food is becoming more and more important. However, depending on where you live it might be too late for planting a garden. It's not too late to add to your pantry supplies. It's crazy how quickly things have turned around in this country. Hard times are here, my friends.

No comments: