Thursday, June 30, 2022

On This Day

 I received an email from "one drive" yesterday that included photos that occurred on that day in my computer history. 


HD Sprint frame I made about 30 years ago. 350cc power from my race bike. Aircraft strut tubing perimeter frame, aluminum tank and seat. You can't tell from the photo but I made the front wheel hub and drum using a Triumph backing plate. Sort of the same thing I'm trying to do with the jitney project - make it all from scratch.


Sportster I put together from boxes of parts. When I finished it I was planning on leaving it until the following spring and then gassing it up and riding. As it worked out, it went back to the previous owner before I even took it for a ride. Fun project. Didn't make any money on it but didn't really lose any either - unless you count my labor. Lost my ass there but no regrets.


And one of my all time favorite cartoons - not only because I have a thing about how much algebra is stressed in school even though most people will never use it, but also there's nothing finer than a smart-ass teacher who would make a comment like this. In my case the statute of limitations has run out on all of the insults I threw out as a shop teacher but we shop teachers were always able to get away with a little more than most classroom teachers. And most of us appreciated the student who could give as well as take.

I got the action plan worked out on the cylinder head repair. I've got the tools and material all laid out. I've got a dentist appointment this morning but plan on getting after it later today. It's supposed to be hot again but I should be OK as long as I keep the fan going.

I got a phone call from the guy with the Ranger I recently repaired. Seems he needs a cast iron manifold repaired on a big bucket loader. I've got a portable welder but it resides on a skid that I can haul around with my tractor. Loading it on my pickup would be a pain in the ass and it runs AC current and my cast iron rods run on DC electrode negative. I can gas weld cast iron but I checked and couldn't find the flux or the rods. I must have left them at the high school when I retired. I gave him a number to call of a local guy who does field work. Hope that takes care of him. I really don't want to start doing a bunch of outside work. I've got plenty of my own.

3 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

that's a very cool Sprint. I am impressed.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Thanks - lightweight and handles well. I'd like to make myself an old school chopper someday but at the rate I'm going, not much chance of that. Too many other projects in line ahead of that.

Frankie Flood said...

https://youtu.be/DlOUafGm-vY You might like this.