Sunday, July 31, 2022

Little Bit O' Progress

 


I should have posted this one on yesterday's post. More fun than a barrel of monkeys.



A project I should have undertaken years ago. The extension cord was a heavy duty 12 gauge three wire that kept shedding the outer insulation. The insulation on the conductors was in good shape - nothing taped up anywhere. However, with the lack of insulation it was way past safe. I stole the female plug from it, bought a new male plug and put them on another cord I had. It too has 12 gauge wires, so I've once again got a heavy duty extension cord.


The crop duster was busy Friday. He woke me up about six in the morning taking care of the field north of me and then he was back late afternoon to do the field west of me. The new smart phone and I haven't exactly come to terms yet when using the camera. There's a lag between pushing the shutter button and when it captures the image. Also, depending on where the sun is, it's sometimes hard to see the image on the screen. On an old film camera, neither of those things are an issue. Of course, it's hard to email the image directly from the camera to my account so I can post the photos on here. Can't have everything I suppose.


 The smart phone camera does take nice photos on still lifes and it's handy not having to carry a phone and a camera for blog posting. So there's that.


I finished up the seat mount. It's not adjustable fore and aft, but if it suits me that's all that's really necessary. Surly's about the same size as I am, so he'll fit as well. It would be easy enough to raise it up in height if needed.

I bolted on the fan, spacer and thermostat housing to see what I need for the upper radiator hose. I have a short right-angle hose now. I think if I get another one just like it and make a short tube to connect them, I should be right where I need to be. Now that the seat is fastened securely in place, I can locate the mounting points for the lap belt and get those tacked on.

I'll hit the auto parts store Monday along with the steel supply to get a thin plate to put under the seat. I don't want the driveshaft whacking me in the ass if the front U-joint breaks. I'll also fab up a loop to keep it from digging into the ground or flopping around tearing things up if the joint breaks.

No comments: