Wednesday, December 27, 2023

50 Mile Challenge

 


I took the pickup to the dealership the other day for an oil change and once over. This Bronco was on the showroom floor and only $62K with dealer prep and delivery charge added in. It obviously is not the base model, but it is the one I'd be shopping for if I was willing to go back to work full time. I can't imagine making those payments. My pickup is a 2016, is garage kept and has only 36,000 miles on the clock - might just be the last new vehicle I ever own. I do like the looks of that Bronco, though. Four-wheel drive and it only has two doors - as it should be.

I've been thinking about what I can do to keep myself on the right path as far as my physical fitness. I've done a marathon, a century (100 mile) ride on the bicycle, along with several self-contained bike tours of 200-to-500-mile lengths. I don't know how many short runs and race walks I've done over the years, starting with a 10.5 miler in 1976 my boxing coach "urged" me to sign up for, but the one year my buddy Kevin and I did 13, including two half marathons if I remember correctly. 

I've been kicking around the idea of taking the 50 mile challenge for a few years - 50 miles in 20 hours. As an old dude I remember President Kennedy trying to toughen all of us up, only to be assassinated for his trouble (just one more conspiracy theory). The 50 mile challenge originated with President Teddy Roosevelt and was revived by Kennedy. If you look at Generals Austin and Milley, might not be a bad idea to revive the challenge for military officers once again, which was Roosevelt's original idea. Milley is 8 years younger than I am, so he should be able to whip himself into shape and set a good example on the national stage - be a good retirement gig for him.

Anyway, 2024 just might be year. Coach Jen is talking about a half marathon in May, so she'll be in good shape and might be talked into it. With or without her, if I can find someone else ambitious enough, that'll work. If not, I'll try it solo and I'll just need someone to drop me off and ferry my tired ass back home.

No comments: