Friday, December 1, 2023

Seneca & Hubbard

 


In pursuance of some more knowledge of Stoicism, I drug out an old book by
Elbert Hubbard
that contained a chapter on Seneca, a name that always comes up in the study of Stoicism. Elbert Hubbard was quite an influential individual in his own right, having formed the Roycroft Shops and as an author. I've got several of his books, including this one: 


Book #1 of the Great Philosophers. The binding's in pretty rough shape but the book's pages are still intact. In fact the pages are a very nice quality paper, some of which are embossed with the Roycroft name and logo. I read the chapter on Seneca, and it gave a decent biography, but it didn't go very deep into his philosophy. Also, Hubbard mentioned many names of people I knew very little of or nothing at all. My education is sorely lacking when it comes to the classics. However, I'm working on expanding my knowledge at least as far as Stoicism goes - baby steps.


Those were the days, indeed. The weren't all great. Hubbard and his wife went down with the Lusitania when it was sunk by a German submarine. 

We all better be preparing for hard times. Things are only going to get worse.

3 comments:

Surly said...

The little bit of Seneca I've read, I like. You're welcome to borrow my copy. It's one of a set. I think it's Letters on Ethics. I have a Marcus Aurelius as well but it's a flowery translation. Tough read for a dullard such as myself.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I picked up a couple of novels from the library a couple of days ago - looking to do some easy reading and get caught up on the mail. I'll keep the offer on Seneca in mind - thanks.

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

I would hear that song played on the radio when I was a tiny little boy and loved it. or maybe it was the very first song that I hated hearing repetitively on the radio all the time. either way is good.