Friday, December 8, 2023

Drag Bikes


I don't spend much time on Facebook due to philosophical issues, but there are some things on there that I'll waste a little bit of time on, like a group posting vintage drag bikes. Lots of iron head Sportsters on there, which isn't too surprising considering what was available back then. Late seventies - early eighties, Japanese bikes were coming on the scene - mostly two and four stroke Kawasakis and then Suzuki. Elmer Trett, who was the top fuel master, switched from Harley power to Kawasaki much to the chagrin of the HD guys. Honda only had their 750, which wasn't big enough to run with the big boys, unless you were Russ Collins.


Collins on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Honda powered top fuel bike. 


This was from a different page, but that's how the rabbit hole works if you allow it to happen. These M&H Racemasters showed up on a lot of the serious drag bikes. When I was racing there was a guy had a high gear only fuel bike that would show up when they were running fuel cars. Apparently, the drag strip had a different insurance rider when nitromethane was involved. This guy would kick the bike off the stand and spin the tire about half way down the track before it would hook up - put on a helluva  show. However, as the fuel bikes developed more power, transmissions and Goodyear drag slicks in car tire sizes showed up.


This is what I was racing back then. The bike frame was patterned after a Kosman frame I built in the Washington High School Weld Shop. I built a fixture to keep everything in alignment that I made using an idea I saw in an old aircraft construction book. Most of the components came from a guy I traded my labor doing welding and machine work for. I had very little money invested that way, which was a good thing since I didn't have much to play with. Instead of the M&H tire on the rear, I ran a road racing tire on a wide rim with low tire pressure. Stock motor ran 11.70s.

I damn sure don't need another project, and that's not even factoring my advanced age, but I wouldn't mind going drag racing again. 

2 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

awesome bike, looks scary.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Actually, it was pretty easy to ride. The shift to second gear happened pretty quick but after that just keep it pointed straight.