Monday, November 8, 2010

Aermacchi Racer



















H-D Sprint/Aermacchi road racer.

Whenever airplane factories start making motorcycles, you can expect to see some pretty nice machinery - Aermacchi, Moto Guzzi - or maybe it's just an Italian thing. For a little pushrod single, these things were competitive for quite a while and affordable. A lot of big name racers competed on the Sprints in this country, both on dirt and pavement. Cal Rayborn, Bart Markel, Mert Lawwill, George Roeder - Roeder even set a land speed record with a 250cc streamliner of 176 mph, if memory serves. Bronson even rode one when the off road going got too rough for his Sportster in the old TV show. They'd show him doing some big jump and if you looked close you could see it was a Sprint that was painted to match his Sporty. I bought one April 1st, 1968. It was my pride and joy. I liked to froze to death riding it home but I wasn't going to let 30 degree temperatures stand between me and my new motorcycle. I had it almost one year exactly until some SOB stole it. Probably changed the whole course of my life. Oh well, one door closes and another door opens.

3 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

That was a cool bike. Ya know what's weird? I still remember the serial number of that bike. I checked every one of them that I saw for a long time.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

67H17889

Grumpyunk said...

Really, you didn't have to tell me.
Hell, I KNEW you'd still know it.