Saturday, November 6, 2010

Motorbikes and Steam Engines








Cylinder and connecting
rod for steam engine.

















Honda Superhawk

















'65 Monza







I got a few more things machined up for the steam engine project. The cylinders need the intake pipes, pistons and "U" bolts to hold the guides in place but that should be done next week. I need to make a trip to the hardware store but I'm not sure what I need exactly. The plans are a little unclear. The included photos in the plans are from a couple of different engines so the detail shots don't necessarily jibe with the assembly shot. I'll get it figured out and then it will be on to the valve mechanism. That looks to be the only real machining challenge. It starts with a 4 way 3/8" pipe junction and then has the center bored out and bushed with a stainless bar in the center with some reliefs cut in it to divert the steam from one cylinder to the next. I'm sure you have a hard time visualizing that but I'll post photos as it happens. First I have to find one. I don't recall ever seeing a brass 4 way at the hardware store in that size. I'll probably have to see the guy I got the copper cylinders from. I'm building him a speed bag platform, so we're swapping a little parts for labor deal. I'll have him throw in the 4 way and we'll both be happy.

The Superhawk photo is the one I welded up the sidecover for the other night for my buddy Bob and the Ducati Monza is another bike he's just finished. He does nice work, yes? Both bikes are from about the same year and it's interesting to see the differences in design. Lots of rounded shapes with the Italians and lots of straight lines with the Japanese. Single cylinder versus twin. However, a few years later, Laverda produced a bike that looked like the Superhawk on steroids and Ducati was pretty much out of business just like the British motorcycle industry. "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" was the old marketing slogan. True, only if you weren't trying to compete against them.

6 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

You've been talking about a steam project for years. Nice to see you getting after it.

Those bikes look good. He always has nice stuff.

You should build a Sterling engine next.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'm excited about the steam project. Finally found a reason other than "pride of ownership" to build one. I'm going to try and complete a half dozen projects that are in the works before I even think about starting something like the Sterling engine. Of course, you and I both know how I operate. If I get the scent of something interesting, off I go after it.

rjm791 said...

Looks like you have a lot going on still Mr Mengel. Glad to see you are still teaching. These kids will learn a lot from you if they choose to. That steam engine looks like a lot of fun.

Take Care,
Joey McKernan

Shop Teacher Bob said...

The steam engine project will take the place of the high mileage car for me. We had fun with that while it lasted, didn't we?

Good hearing from you - stop in during Open Shop some night.

rjm791 said...

Yes we did. And I will, I'm living up in Michigan City now, attending PNC. If I am home on a Tuesday I'll stop by.

rjm791 said...

Yes we did. And I will, I'm living up in Michigan City now, attending PNC. If I am home on a Tuesday I'll stop by.