Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Steam Engine's Under Way















Got started on the steam engine. Lots of machine work to be done but nothing very difficult. Lots of lathe work - drilling and threading mostly. The two copper cups are going to be the cylinders, the rods with the nuts on one end are the connecting rods which will fasten to the piece in between them in the photo. I ordered up some rod ends today to connect them together plus a couple of other little things we'll need. I want to start machining the pistons this week and the guides that the connecting rods run through. The engine was conceived by a guy who is obviously not a machinist nor a draftsman but there are plenty of photos of the individual parts. I'm changing a few things as I go to correct a couple of obvious points that may cause trouble during operation . I want to have this baby running on compressed air by Christmas break. Looks to be doable.

I welded up a couple little items for my cousin and scoped out his Harley frame. He's finally getting around to putting his sidecar rig together and the frame is going to need some work before going much farther on the project. That's where I'll come in. You'll be able to follow along at his blog A Quality Shop of Master Craftsmen. The link is on the left. I also welded up a hole in a sidecover for an old Honda Superhawk for a buddy of mine. The welding was pretty much a snap for both guy's projects and had a nice visit. Nice way to work, actually.

My buddy brought the shifter piece for the Rickati project I needed so I can figure out where to put my foot pegs. The swing arm tubing should be in today or tomorrow and I've already got the axle plates machined. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about a back wheel yet. The original Rickman wheel has some issues and it's got a small 15mm axle, most 250's run at least a 17mm. I need to make a decision real soon. I'd like to find a drum brake wheel with an aluminum rim and just be done with it. That would be easier than fixing the Rickman wheel and lacing up a new wheel - cheaper too. I'll come up with something.

2 comments:

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

CLEANED OFF MOST OF THE PAINT AND GOT ONE OF THOSE UGLY PATCHES OFF.... TUBE IS BROKEN. LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE WELDED IT ONCE AND IT CRACKED THROUGH THE WELD. I'LL TRY TO HAVE IT READY FOR NEXT TUESDAY, IF I HAVE ENOUGH TIME. LOOKS LIKE MORE WORK.

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Roger that. We'll take a look and see what we can do.