Friday, November 12, 2010

Issues

Seems like ever since coming home from the bicycle trip, I've been dealing with some kind of issue or another. First I come down with some kind of strange disease, then I screw up my chest muscles and now I've got some kind of kidney infection. All I want to do is be left alone and do some running and cycling and I'll be happy. Really. That's about all it takes to keep me happy because everything else seems like it's always pretty good. Good marriage - we have a cross word every five years or so, just enough to keep us on our toes but really a good marriage - good family, good friends. The job sure isn't what it used to be or could be, but the insurance is great and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm healthy enough to tinker on my projects and I still go to the gym and get a little workout but I just like cycling and running especially in the Fall. So compared to a lot of people, I'm pretty well blessed. No doubt about it.

So that's the set-up for this: Matt Long, firefighter, Ironman, businessman. Gets run over by a bus. Writes a book. I read the book. I feel like such a pansy ass to even think about complaining.

Read it.




4 comments:

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

UNFORTUNATELY WE'RE GETTING OLDER. WE DON'T BOUNCE AS WELL WHEN WE FALL, WE DON'T GET OVER COLDS AND SUCH, AS QuiCKLY AS WE USED TOO, AND THE ACHES AND PAINS OF 40 OR SO YEARS OF WORKING IN THIS LIFE SHOW UP EVERY MORNING WHEN WE GET OUT OF BED.

THAT BEING SAID NONE OF THE PEOPLE WE KNOW HAS HAD SOME KIND OF MAJOR SURGERY, OR SOME TYPE OF DISEASE THAT WILL KEEP US DOWN FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES.

I FEEL BLESSED BY THESE FACTS ALONE, OUR PARENTS LIVED PRETTY GOOD LIVES AND WE HAVE RELATIVES THAT LIVED WELL INTO THEIR 80'S AND BEYOND.

THE FACT THAT YOU DO RUN AND BIKE PROBABLY KEEPS YOU HEALTHIER THAN MOST OF US, KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT AND LIVE WITH THE SMALL CRISISES (SPELLING?).

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I've come to grips with the fact that I'm no spring chicken and we are extremely fortunate that all of us in our close family circle are doing pretty well for ourselves. However, what pisses me off about what's ailing me now is that the doctors give me some vague answer as to what's wrong and what we can do to fix it. It's been five months and two doctors for the chest thing. The new thing I've got now I had once before and it's back again. Don't know what is was last time or what it is this time or if it's going to come back in the future. But I didn't get run over by a bus! So in the big picture, I'm doing OK.

Thanks for the pep talk, Coach.

Grumpyunk said...

What's the old saying?

"I'm to the point that It's better to have good health insurance than good health."

Yep, could'a been hit by a bus.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Oh yeah, things could be a lot worse. All my days are good, some are just better than others.