Thursday, August 18, 2011

Back to School

I'm back in the saddle again. Starting year 36 and it looks like it might actually be a good one. My schedule is just about perfect. I start the day off with my vocational welding class, two beginning welding classes and then two wood shop classes. Of course these aren't the real course titles. The real ones are some type of "systems" or "processes" but that's OK. It looks like I've got a real good bunch of guys except for a couple of knuckleheads in one of the wood shop classes. If I've only got a couple, it should be a good year.

Finally got my computer running on Monday. My remote terminal in the shop still isn't working but that's not urgent. Just real convenient to have. We've been putting together some new lockers for the Weld Shop the last couple of days. According to the instructions, should take two people 30 minutes. We hope to be finished tomorrow after about five hours. They're going to be nice, though. The regular school lockers aren't big enough to fit a welding helmet and a lot of the students bring their own helmets in. They'll be able to keep them under lock and key and not have to drag them around or keep them in my office.

We're working on some things in the wood shop as well. The other guy left kind of a mess for me to straighten out. I don't blame him at all. He got an involuntary transfer and they cut a day from his contract that he could have used to get his stuff moved. Regardless, we're getting it taken care of and getting the opportunity to get things the way I want them. I'm not sure what all I need in there yet but I know we need to make a sled for the table saw and fix the router table. We'll tackle it a day at a time and just see how it goes. If things go as planned, I should be able to sneak the wooden boat I've wanted to build in there someplace. I'm not 100%, but I'm thinking about a Martin skiff. Wooden boat ran a how-to series on this one a few years back and looks pretty much like what I want as well as what I'm capable of building. I just got the new Wooden Boat magazine yesterday and there were several mentions of school boat building programs in there. We might be able to get a little positive press if things go well.

So I'm kind of like the Cub's fan during spring training. Always hopeful as hell that this will be a championship year and then the reality sets in. Well, maybe not that bad. I've had a lot of championship years. Even the Yankees don't make the World Series every year but I'm hoping to once again be a contender. If I can get the computer issues worked out, I should be golden.


2 comments:

dorkpunch said...

Me too. Kids start on Wednesday. Looking forward to this year, regardless of all of the garbage going on with the state. Ideas for some of my classes have been percolating all summer and now I can finally get to work on a few of them. Enjoy your time while it lasts!

Shop Teacher Bob said...

We're all supreme optimists, aren't we? I guess we have to be to keep coming back every year. We do make a difference though. Good luck on the new school year.