Wednesday, August 3, 2011

We've Got Walls















The Building Trades Instructor came by today and gave me a hand on the walls of the barn. We got the two I already had built put up and we got the last one pretty much done. I need to line up some muscle to give us a hand lifting the header up onto the plate and while the muscle is here, they can give me a hand putting the lifting beams under the lid. I'm shooting for Monday. I need to finish the one beam first and I've got some computer training on Friday. I also need to go shopping for a lawn mower. It looks like mine isn't going to be able to finish out the season.

The tile guys finished up today - the new floor looks pretty nice. It's a hell of an improvement from the carpet that was in there. Who puts carpet in a kitchen anyway? Must have been someone who didn't cook. I need to let the tile set up a day before I start putting the appliances back and I need to get the baseboard installed after that. Another job for my spare time.

As always, lots to do and little time to get it done. Actually, I would have gotten more done this summer if I wasn't so damn tired at the end of the day. The heat sucks the strength out of me and when I could be getting some other things done inside, I'm rocking back in the recliner nursing a sore chest or back or just trying to recover. One good thing, in a oddball sort of way, is that most of the back issues lately are the standard lower back thing caused by the heavy lifting. I've been nursing that for years - kind of like an old friend come-a-callin' instead of the other crap I've had going on. I'll be able to rest Friday while I'm learning to Moodle. Hard to get too excited about something like that when you're already starting to think of yourself as a short timer. But hey, we got walls!

4 comments:

Traveling Pirate said...

Let me know if you need a couple short farmers for some lifting on Monday. I'm sure they'd be glad to come over to help.

tvi said...

HEY "BOB"'

I SAID BEFORE IF YOU NEED THE CRANE ON THE TRUCK I'VE GOT SOME CLEAN LIFTING STRAPS. HOW ABOUT SUNDAY? I COULD COME IN THE MORNING AND SET THOSE HEADERS FOR YOU AND MAYBE PULL THE BEAMS UNDER THE ROOF.

JUST CHECKING.

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

leroy99 said...

I am avaliable also just give me a call on sunday if its a go for monday talk to ya soon I have a few ladders and scaffold if needed to set headers easier to set them on something and do a short lift than from the ground!

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Traveling Pirate: I'll call if I need them - thanks.

TVI: I still have to finish the one beam. The crane would be a big help loading the beams on the trailer. I'll let you know.

leroy99: See you Monday, 8:00 AM.