Sunday, August 7, 2011

Header's In




























I got some much needed help this morning moving the lifting beams and the header. Since I'm not sure of the company policy, I won't mention who helped, but his service truck with the crane made things real easy. It took about 2-1/2 hours to load the beams, transport them, stick them under the barn roof, set the header and put the spiral staircase on the trailer to take back to school. If it would have taken two hours and 25 minutes, we wouldn't have gotten wet. A damn storm blew in just as we were setting the header. We still got the stair set on the trailer, even though it was like a big lightning rod hanging off the end of the crane, just as the rain started really coming down. We both got soaked, but for me at least, it was well worth it.

It's good to have friends - thanks.

Next step on the walls is to get the plywood on the corners to keep everything together and square, complete the header installation and start nailing up the purlins. Next step on the roof section is to make the spreader bar and lifting what-cha-ma-call-its for the lifting beams. I took some stock over to the place I buy my material Friday and he's going to cut out some pieces for me on his big plasma. Those should be done tomorrow afternoon. Once I get those, I can make the lifting things and slide those on the beams and bolt them in. Then it's jack the beams and cross ties into place and secure all that. After that, take a few roof sections off and call the wrecker. Piece O' Cake.

2 comments:

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

YOUR WELCOME. I KNOW IF THE ROLES HAD BEEN REVERSED YOU WOULD HAVE STEPPED UP FOR ME. THIS MAKES TOMORROW A LITTLE EASIER. IF YOU NEED A ROPE HAND FOR THE BIG LIFT AND I'M AVAILABLE LET ME KNOW.

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

It's looking like a tornado outside now. Maybe it will pick up the top and set it back on the walls. Make things a lot easier. I'll let you know if I need anything - thanks again.