Wednesday, August 24, 2011

School News

I'm already into my second week of the school year and no one's got hurt in the Woodshop. Pretty happy about that. I found a place that sells hardwood and we're getting all our fixtures made up. Pretty happy about that as well. And keeping with the theme, our superintendent quit - you can fill in the rest. He was quoted in the paper as saying: "I'ts so negative here. I don't want to work here anymore". I'm sure a lot of other people feel exactly the same way.

So I'm thinking of throwing my hat in the ring for the superintendent's job. The State of Indiana changed the requirements to be a teacher and a superintendent. To be a teacher, about all you have to do now is take a test for the specific area you want to teach, pass it and you're in. For the superintendents's job, even less is required, if I remember correctly, at least for a couple of years. Normally they give the superintendent a three year contract, so my plan is to get the job, totally screw things up, and they'll buy out the remaining two years of my contract. I get a couple hundred thousand for touring Italy on my Moto Guzzi or sitting around the shack pickin' shit with the chickens. You may laugh at the idea but I read in the paper the other day they bought out the contract for the superintendent of the Philadelphia schools for something like 900 large. I could tour all of Europe for that kind of money.

We've started working in the Weldshop already - made a mailbox post for the new school, fixed a couple of desks, I welded up a flange on an exhaust pipe for a big truck and I welded up a mount on a radiator for a 600 Suzuki today. Not a bad start to the school year, really. I hope to get some work done on a couple of my projects this year but I'm not making any predictions on any thing. Every time I get ready to hit a couple of licks on one of my long term projects, something else comes in the door. I'm just going to continue on the "let's finish some of this crap up before we start on anything else" path.




6 comments:

Traveling Pirate said...

I walked around all day yesterday with a smile on my face.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'm sure that's true. I figured he'd be leaving after the new school opened up. I just didn't figure it would only be a week after. It'll be interesting to see who they come up with this time.

leroy99 said...

Sounds like a plan I could see you as the super. Looks like I will be ready at end of spring semester this year worst case after summer classes, pretty excited about that! I do need to talk to someone in charge to see what all is required again just in case they changed something in the last two years. maybe catch up with you on Fri PM. see ya Dave

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

YOU'D LOOK GOOD IN ONE OF THOSE COMMODORE HATS THAT YOU SEE IN THE ENGLISH SHIP MOVIES!

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI
P.S. MAYBE YOU SHOULD SAVE THAT FOR THE FIRST WEEK OF YOUR SECOND YEAR!

Grumpyunk said...

Oh hell yes. You should go for it. Nothing to lose but the little sanity you still have.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

leroy99: You need to get your substitute paperwork in order. I've got a little work for you planned.

tvi: The big hat with the gold trim would be a nice touch but I'm thinking more of a Ray Rayner jumpsuit with sticky notes. Either one will probably accomplish my goal.

Unk: The job pays better than 100K and with all the changes the state has made, nobody knows what the hell is going on now anyway. How could I go wrong?