Friday, August 19, 2011

Training Like it's 1889

That's the headline in the Olean, New York newspaper about Jimmy's upcoming training session in Belfast. I went to the paper's web site but I couldn't read the whole article because you need to sign in and all that jazz but I did read the article in it's entirety at the gym last night in a real live paper edition and it's a darn good article. We're supposed to show up there August 30th and train using the Muldoon method, which will include Jimmy plowing behind a horse, blacksmithing, horseback riding, tossing the medicine ball, walking, running, sparring and who knows what else. The best thing that I can see from what I've read of the training is that they had a Bass Ale every night with dinner.

It mentions in the article that Jimmy will be wearing some period correct tights while sparring. In the spirit of things I'm thinking of shaving off the full beard and going with some mutton chops and a handlebar mustache for the week. I haven't shaved the beard off in at least twenty years, I would guess. Might be nice to see a little more of the old face for a few days. I can't see me shaving every day, though. The beards not really a fashion statement, I'm just too lazy to get up every morning and shave.

On a completely different note, I got a little work in on the barn this week. I worked on the lifting beams. Depending on the weather, I'm planning on getting a little more done this weekend. Of course, I'll probably have to cut the grass again. I mow the front one day, the back the next day, wait a day and start over again. Between that and the gym, it's really hard to get anything else done now that I'm back in school. Shouldn't whine too loud though, still better than a real job.

The weekend's about here - enjoy the last few weeks of summer.

6 comments:

Traveling Pirate said...

Speaking of shaving, in all my life, I've never seen my dad's upper lip. That's 35 years without seeing it. It's time for him to shave, at least once.

Grumpyunk said...

Damn Bro! You guys are going to Belfast? Like Ireland? Holy shit, that's awesome.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Traveling Pirate: It probably wouldn't hurt to shave once every thirty five years or so. Nice thing about it, a couple of weeks and you're right back where you started from.

Unk: Don't get too excited there Bro. That's Belfast as in New York, not Ireland. Still should be a lot of fun. And, it beats working.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you definitely have to look the part - mutton chops and a handlebar are definitely the "in" thing if you are going back to 1889. I'll need pictures of course. :)

Shop Teacher Bob said...

What he didn't mention is that the misses is totally against this and that she had to read it on the post.
STB is a total believer in ask forgiveness not permission. Not that he needs my permission but he knows my feelings on the subject of facial hair. Mutton chops are doable but I HATE HANDLEBAR MUSTACHES. Totally Snidely Whiplash and creepy as hell.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Last post was by Mrs. Shop Teacher Bob