Thursday, January 16, 2014

Back to "Normal"

Photo From Here

Photo From Here


Photo From Here

Guzzi's and sidecars - these are a few of my favorite things.

I went back to work Monday and it was about 46 degrees with the sun shining bright. After the below zero weather we've been having, felt plenty warm enough to ride a motorcycle. Sure enough, when I left the building in the evening there was a big ol' Harley Ferguson parked in the motorcycle lot. It was probably only about 36 then - going to be a brisk ride home for the brave soul but better than being out for a couple of hours plowing and shoveling like last week.

I developed my film from the Europe trip and I've got some nice negatives to work with. Now I need to pick a couple, mix up some fresh chemicals and then spend an evening or two in the darkroom printing myself up a couple of nice 8x10's or maybe even an 11x14. I haven't done much film work lately. One of the things I thought would be a regular feature of the blog was black and white photography. It hasn't turned out that way but not because like most everyone else I've gone all digital. While digital is definitely the way to go if you're going to post pictures on the computer, film photography with the darkroom processes is more up my alley. The problem is, what do you do with the photographs after you make them? If you go to the trouble of mixing up the chemicals to print pictures, you might as well make several enlargements while you're at it. And you might as well do that a few times in relatively quick succession because the chemicals have a limited shelf life once they're mixed. I shot three rolls on my trip and if I print just two 8x10's from each roll, where am I going to display them? Maybe I need some type of photo gallery where I can change the photos on display every time I process a new roll of film. That's not much of a problem to have, I know, and it's not going to keep me from printing up a few shots from my trip, either. And no matter how much space they take up on the wall, I'll make room for a shot of the Eiffel Tower and one or two others. I do want to start shooting a little more B&W, especially with my 4x5 cameras even if I just throw the prints into a box when I'm done.

No comments: