Monday, January 6, 2014

Snot Freezer

Man - O - Man it was a cold one today. Went out just long enough to water the chicken and shovel off a spot where the dog could stand still long enough to do some business. It was -13 this morning and didn't improve much all day. The wind continued to blow and basically everything is shut down in the northern half of the state of Indiana. It's going to take awhile to get dug out after all the blowing and drifting but I've got nowhere to go until Thursday afternoon and if need be, I can skip that as well.

In the absence of anything else going on I made some vegan muffins this morning. I've always been a pretty good cowboy cook - cook most anything as long as it doesn't require anything other than a frying pan or maybe a Dutch oven - but have never been a baker. In fact, I wasn't even sure how to run the oven. This one has LED readouts and push buttons. I was a little advanced beyond the light the oven with a match like when I was a kid but not much. Anyway, the muffins turned out pretty tasty and it warmed the kitchen up a little.

The house has hot water heat but there isn't a strip of fin tube in the kitchen at all. Likewise there's a big spot in the middle of the house that we refer to as the room with no name that doesn't have any heat either. With no fan to circulate the air like a forced air system, it gets pretty darn chilly in those areas unless you have some traffic to stir up the air. It's normally not an issue unless it gets real cold and the wind is blowing off the bare field out back. Exactly the conditions today, of course. I need to look into warming things up a little before next winter. The windows in the back bedroom leak air like a sieve also. They're newer windows rather than the awning type on most of the house but they're the worst of the lot. If I'm going to stick around here for a while, I need to make things better. Especially when it comes to the cold weather or if the power goes out.

See what happens when I sit around with nothing else to do? I come up with lots of things I should do. I just need to remember to do them when the weather is nice enough to do them. Maybe a list. Ha, Ha! That's a joke, Son!

Stay warm

No comments: