Friday, January 3, 2014

It's Winter - No Doubt About It

Woke up this morning and it was about ten below zero and it had snowed another 3-4 inches last night.


I had plowed and shoveled yesterday but even though the snow was light and fluffy, I plowed and shoveled again. Here's the view from the saddle of the old Allis looking west towards the homestead. I could have made it out without plowing but with the super cold weather and maybe more snow on the way, I figured I better get things in order just in case. Even though it was close to zero when I went out, the old tractor fired right up. Lot to be said for running twelve volts through a six volt starter and an engine designed with low compression and even lower still after sixty years. It started on two cylinders, went to three after a few seconds and then finally to all four. After about five minutes of running time, things had warmed up enough to shift the transmission and raise the blade. I've often wondered why people put themselves through this crap year after year. I enjoy the winter but I don't have to work in the brutal weather, either. 

I was watching the Weather Channel and it was -40 in Duluth and International Falls. It's supposed to be below zero all day on Monday around here. That's cold. Dangerous cold. Stay safe and stay warm cuz baby, it's cold outside.

No comments: