Saturday, January 18, 2014

Little Cars

Photos From Here

I've been thinking about buying a new vehicle for my commute back and forth to the college. When I worked at the high school, I averaged about 50 miles per week on the truck, partly because I worked so close and partly because I did as much commuting on my bicycle as was feasible. And there was that stretch when gas went to over 4 bucks per gallon and I just refused to give in and pay that. Now, however, I average some where around 200 miles per week and that's starting to kill off the ten year old pickup truck. If I buy a new truck, that's going to set me back about $30K. I need a truck to pull my trailers and to haul things around but about 98% of the time I'm just driving a big, empty vehicle that gets lousy mileage on my commute to school. If I were to get a little POS car that gets twice the fuel economy and is half the cost of a new truck, I can just park the old Dodge and use it only when I need to haul something around or pull a trailer.

With that in mind, I've been internet shopping, looking at new small cars. Remembering the attempts at making small cars by the domestic automakers of the past, the Corvairs, Chevettes, Pintos, and the noteworthy 1980 Ford Mustang Ghia pictured above, I'm a little reluctant to even consider such a thing. However, if my wife's new Buick is any indication of progress, they have actually figured out how to make a decent little car. Wanting to stick with an American made vehicle, I've been comparing the Chevy Spark, Ford Fiesta and the Dodge Dart. There's a Chevy and Ford dealer in town so that's a plus and both of the vehicles are a bit cheaper than the Dart. The Fiesta Hatchback with the 5 speed manual is less than $15k but it only comes in black, white or silver - the three colors I would least like on any new vehicle I would buy. However, here's an idea:


Maybe take the Plain Jane and get it "dolled up" with a little striping or something cool. I saw a big Jeep at school the other night in the parking lot and it had Popeye in stenciled type lettering underneath the front doors with a painted picture of Popeye with the words "the Mercenary" underneath that. I don't know what the story is but it looks cool as hell on the side of the Grand Cherokee. Don't know that I'd want anything along those lines but a little pinstriping could be just the ticket.

Anyway, one of these days I'll head up town and check out the Fiesta and the Spark. If I save a conservative estimate of 25 bucks per week on fuel, that's $100 per month which would be half of the car payment if I make a decent down payment and the car should require a minimum of service before I quit teaching at the college in a couple of years. At that time I could trade it in on something decent or give it to my oldest grandson who would be about ready to get his driver's license. Of course, I may test drive them and decide that the small cars are still cheap cars and just aren't worth buying. You'd think they'd have to be better than a Chevette, though.

Stay warm and have a good weekend.





5 comments:

Surly said...

Find a well maintained Subaru with about 90K on the clock. Spend the 1K that the PO didn't want to spend on the waterpump/timing belt job, make sure it doesn't have leaky axles, change the fluid in both diffs, new tires, and drive it for another 100k with nary a problem. Built in Indiana. For under 5K you've got a work car that will do well in snow and get good mileage.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Actually, I was considering a new XV Crosstrek but since I just bought one new car, that one's just a little out of my budget. A good used car wouldn't be a bad idea. The Subaru would be big enough to drag my teardrop trailer around and 200K miles is nothing for a Subaru. The savings in the purchase price would buy all the fuel I'll need.

As it stands now, I figure I'm only going to work two, maybe three, more years so the only maintenance required on a new car would be a few oil changes, though. I'm just kicking ideas around right now, working on the budget, etc. I'll check out the new cars and see if they look like they would hold together long enough for me to drive them until I retire completely. The truck is ready for some new tires but other than that it's in good shape so I don't need to be in a hurry to make a decision.

Traveling Pirate said...

I've been real happy with my Focus. I've had very few problems in our nearly 8 years together. The biggest issue was when I left it in the garage for four months while I was in Spain and the brakes rusted in place. A hazard of life in the snow belt, I suppose.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I stopped and looked at the Fiesta and the Spark this morning. I didn't drive either one but the Spark wins on the "cute factor". Salesman said free oil changes and 36 month bumper to bumper warranty. Ford's got free financing if I buy before March, I think it is. I'll take Surly's comment under advisement and see what the used Subaru market looks like and then start looking in earnest.

Unknown said...

A new car is definitely a great gift for yourself for the New Year. The shopping experience may be daunting, especially if all the cars you’ve seen doesn’t fit your requirement, but there are ways to make it somewhat easier. Looking online was the best course of action, because you were able to see all the possible options in the market. How was your search, btw? I hope you've already found the car you need.

Rhonda Burgess @ Bob Dunn Hyundai