Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Travel Dreams (Again)

Graphic From Here

I've been all over the United States but have never really taken the "Big Road Trip", as in a coast to coast or border to border trip. When you live in the Midwest, it's a long trip just to get to the coast, let alone turning around and running back the other direction. I have fancied for quite some time taking a motorcycle trip across US 50. I could pick it up in southern Indiana and head west from there - basically Route 9 on the map above. I've been on the Santa Fe Trail section out into Colorado, I'd need the Utah, Nevada and California parts. That would also help  finish my quest to see all 50 states. That'd leave only Alaska and Hawaii after that. Probably never happen but since I just finished a dream trip, no reason not to start dreaming of another. 

Speaking of which, here's a shot from Rothenburg, Germany I stumbled across:

Photo From Here

I've got a couple of decent black and white negatives I shot while in Rothenburg. Since it's just been too cold to do much else, including going to work, probably be a good time to print a few of them and others from the trip. 


Here's a reason for me to head back to Europe, like I needed another one. I'm assuming that's where these doors are located, I forgot to mark where I found them when I was saving the photo. Regardless, I'm a huge fan of the Art Nouveau style in general and the metal work in particular. However, I think the next big trip is definitely going to be out West, even if I don't ride the motorcycle. I'm currently reading Sequoia: The Heralded Tree in American Art and Culture by Lori Vermaas and it's time to see the Big Trees. Round trip to Reno on Southwest or maybe take the train. Rent a car and head to Yosemite and/or Sequoia National Park. Gawk at the 3000 year old trees and then scratch another one off the bucket list. Better start saving my money.

But for some natural beauty closer to home, saw this looking out the windows the other morning:


The double sun dog. I couldn't get both sides in the photo without going out side and me being the big sissy boy that I've become, I just shot both sides separately from two different windows. It was a neat sight even if my pictures don't do it justice.

Supposed to have some "normal" weather tomorrow. Maybe I can get out and do a little ice skating. Even though it's a big house we live in, after a week inside, except for shoveling and chores that is, the walls start closing in a little. Do me good to get out. Probably good for the Missus, as well.


No comments: