Friday, June 6, 2014

Rockin' The Cradle



Built myself an El-Cheapo assembly stand. 16-1/2" long x 12" wide. If I was to do it over I wouldn't cut the miters on the corners quite so large but other than that, it's just the ticket. Since it was made from scrap on hand, price was nothing, as in zip, nada, zilch. After I screwed it together it dawned on me that if I flip it up-side down, it will be handy to hold one side of the cases while I install the crank and tranny. That's why I wouldn't trim the corners back quite so much - a little more stability when the cradle's on it's back. That's also why there are two holes on the near side bottom board. Those are to clear the dowel pins on the case so it will lay flat. After the case halves are assembled, I'll put a couple of clip angles on the front 2 x 4 if needed to keep the lower end steady while I'm assembling the top end.

I cleaned off the bench top, even going so far as to drag the Shop Vac out there, so I'm about ready to start assembling the engine. All of the parts have been de-greased by the previous owner so not much left to do besides trying to figure out what goes where.  


No comments: