Sunday, June 1, 2014

What's All The Hub-Bub, Bub?


Made a piece for the VW while I was incommunicado. It's a hub to support the steering shaft. I started with a piece of 2" aluminum bar and bored out one end to slip over the column, the other end to accept a bronze bushing. 


I also had to mill a slot in it to allow it to slip over the tab on the column and drilled a hole so I can oil the bushing from time to time. 


After putting the steering wheel back on, I dug out the turn signal control and got that fit up as well. I'm planning on wiring the car from scratch so it won't be any extra work to wire in the turn signal switch. I need to start figuring out the dashboard for this rig. The speedometer has most of the instrumentation in it, so I won't need much else on the dash other than an ignition switch, starter button, horn button, lights and heater fan. I don't know that I need a parking light setting on the lights, but I will need something for high and low beams. Maybe a dimmer switch mounted on the floor or something on the shifter where it would be handy.


I also fixed the fan blades on the ceiling fan out in my shop. As you can tell from the photo, the fan blades had developed a serious case of the droops over the years. Those of us in the "Heavy Metal Set" can relate to that. I put a new fan in the kitchen a year or so ago and saved the blades from the old one. Of course it wasn't a straight swap, it's never that easy, but I cut them down a little, drilled some new mounting holes and I'm back in business.


The new blades are about three inches longer than the old ones so it actually works better than new. 

And for the uninformed, the Heavy Metal Set is those of us with silver in our hair, gold in our teeth and lead in our ass.



No comments: