Thursday, June 5, 2014

Sportster Parts With a Side of TIG


What looks like the beginning of a moving sale is actually boxes of the remaining parts for the Sportster. The previous owner was kind enough to sort out the engine stuff for me so I actually stand a chance of getting things all back together properly. Since I've never had one of these apart before, and I wasn't the one who took it apart, might be a little head scratching trying to put it back together. 

I think the first order of business is to spend some time reviewing the shop manual. The Harley manuals are usually pretty thorough, so with the manual and some patience, I should be able to handle it. The other thing I've been thinking that would make the job easier is an engine stand. I've got a couple of engine stands with different heads but I doubt if anything that I've got will work with the Sportster. It might be worth the time spent making a head up rather than trying to chase the engine around the bench top once the cases are assembled. J&P has one listed for $150.00. It looks simple enough to make one similar but the Harley factory manual shows the engine being worked on in what appears to be nothing more than a wooden cradle made from a couple of 2x4's. Since I'm hoping this is a one time deal, a couple of short pieces of 2x4 and about 15 minutes of labor seems like the direction I should be headed in.



After I brought the bike parts home the other day, I welded up the lid to Surly's grill. The grill had blown over in a storm and both hinges had snapped off. The cast aluminum contained a lot of zinc so it didn't weld the easiest but as Uncle Pete used to say: "It ain't much for looks but it's hell for strong". The most notable thing about this job is that I welded it with my old Miller Goldstar. The post-flow timer on the shielding gas quit working and even though I could get a new part it was going to be about $400.00 - lots of money to invest in a 50 year old welding machine that's seen a lot of service. I bought a new torch head instead that has a gas shut off valve built into it. Now it's turn on the gas, weld, turn off the gas. Not as convenient but serviceable. At least I'm getting things ship shape around here so I can actually do little jobs like this without it being a big production. Hallelujah and can I have an Amen? 

I also caught the Professors on WYCC television from Chicago. It's a 30 minute program focusing on education issues. I don't make it a habit of watching it but I really should. The exchange of diverse ideas and philosophies on important issues is both stimulating and pretty even handed. If you can catch the program where you are at, I recommend you do so. 

No comments: