Saturday, July 19, 2014

County Fair


The Missus and I took a hot lap around the local county fair earlier in the week. Can't go to the fair without a stroll through the dairy barn  - along with sheep, goats, hogs, rabbits, chickens, ducks and turkeys. No pigeons, though. I'm starting to get hot to go on pigeons for some reason.


The Retired Iron club was gearing up for the tractor parade around the fair grounds so I didn't get a good look at all of the old machinery but from what I saw, lots of interesting stuff this year.


Like this Allis grader. That'd be just the ticket for maintaining the lane.


Good looking Ford tractor. A few of the tractors have been restored to a pretty high level of finish with better than new paint jobs.


Always a couple of equipment dealers present to show off their latest models. I'd like to get a tractor with a bucket loader - make moving snow around a bit easier and they can't be beat for lifting heavy things. This one had a price tag of close to $18K. The salesman said he'd cut me a good deal, of course when don't they say that? For that money I think I'll just stick with my old Allis and try to avoid lifting heavy things. Of course, a truck like the old Chevy up there with a Holmes 440 bolted down on the back would be able to lift some heavy things. 

They were supposed to do a 5K fun run last Sunday morning at the fair grounds I was planning on running, but it was cancelled due to the weather. The Missus was down there on Saturday to check out the pie and cake judging (she scored a second place with both her carrot cake and gooseberry pie) and heard the announcement. Saved me and my running buddy a trip at least.

I cheated on the diet and had a pork tenderloin sandwich for dinner while we were there. Actually it isn't really cheating, it's more like a requirement if you live in Indiana. The weather was nice and cool, unlike what it usually was when I was working the blacksmith shop in the past. Made for a pleasant afternoon for the Missus and I.

 Looks like a couple more nice days still before the weather turns hot. Enjoy them while they're here.




2 comments:

Surly said...

It's funny you say that you have to take a stroll through the barn with the cows. I have to avoid that one as I am allergic to cows. I like cows, they just make me sneeze.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

It could just be all of the dust in the hay and straw. Regardless, I never figured you for a dairy or beef farmer anyway. Just get your dairy in a milk carton and your beef from the meat counter and you'll be set.