Monday, July 28, 2014

Dry Fitting

Photo From Here

If I ever ride the Harley to Texas, I'm going to have to get me a pair of these. I'm going to have to fix the shift lever first, however. Right now it's just got a 5/16" bolt with a piece of oil line on it. Wouldn't want to scuff those boots.


As may be evident from the photo, definitely need new rubber on the foot pegs in addition to the shift lever. I need to pick up a grease fitting for the shifter as well. It looks like it takes some oddball thread - 1/4-32 maybe. So another trip to the dealer is on tap but that's why I was fitting all the parts up. I also need a couple of hardware bits for the kickstart lever and the foot pegs. I like the looks of the new domed points cover. The one that came with the bike was just a chrome plated flat plate and it was bent up a little.


I mentioned long hex bit wrenches the other day. Snap-On sells a 3/8" drive one for $26.00 but I had a 3/16" bit  that fits my homemade Tee handle screwdriver. If you're going to work on motorcycles, this and an impact driver are probably the first tools to buy. This one is probably close to 40 years old. I've got no idea how many #2 Phillips bits I've gone through over the years but this baby has definitely earned its keep. 

I bought a tool for removing the plugs on the primary cover. That would be the shiny piece on the top right in the photo. The other piece is a homemade puller for the lifter bodies made by the previous owner. I'm about at the point that I need another tool box for all the tools in the arsenal. Sears has a roll around cabinet on sale for less than a hundred bucks. As it now stands, I've got several small tool boxes that need to be organized and consolidated. With the addition of the Harley I've got five more special tools, I've also got a small box of bicycle tools, a top box I used to carry with me when I was roadracing the Sprint and a small box of general tools that I used to carry in my truck in the old days when things would break and you could actually repair them on the road.. Since I've got duplicates of a lot of things, maybe get the new roll around and put it in the new barn for working on the VW and maintenance chores on the bikes, both motorized and not. For the price, it can't be top quality but if it streamlines the operation might be a good investment. 

Have a good week. Looks like it's going to be quite pleasant again.





No comments: