Sunday, February 1, 2015

VW

The nice thing about having a dozen irons in the fire, always got one that's hot enough to work on. In this case, VW door panels.


One for the back.


And one for the front. 

I need to file the corners a bit on the one for the front and cut the hole for the handle but it fits pretty nice. The one for the rear needs the edges filed as well. Both of them will need to be drilled for fasteners. However, I'm not quite sure yet what I'm going to use. I've been thumbing through the McMaster-Carr catalog and I've narrowed it down to a couple of ideas. I'll get on that pretty soon and get the two pieces cut for the other side of the car. I'll figure out what I want to do about rolling some beads in them and adding armrests also. The sheets are a little shinier than what they appear in the photos due to the protective plastic film by the way.

I got a magazine with a Harbor Freight ad in it that had a coupon for a 36" sheet metal brake. The coupon price is as low as it's probably ever going to be. I've been looking at the photos and I think I might be able to convert it to a box brake fairly easily and cheaply. The coupon is good until June, so no hurry, but I need a brake for a few of the projects. One of these days when I'm up that way I'll check it out and see if it'll do what I need.

In the meantime, I'll concentrate my efforts on snow removal. The weatherman's talking up to 10" and wind gusts to 30 mph. Always a fun time out here in the country.


No comments: