Thursday, May 10, 2018

One Of My Many Vises


Another of the Fab class projects - welding vise. I had posted the plans for this way back when after seeing it someplace on the internet and it looked like something that would fit in well for the class. The bottom frame is made from 1x1 angle and the moveable jaw is made from 2x2. I do a lot of TIG welding on the bike projects and it's not unusual to need three hands to pull the job off. One for the TIG torch, one for the filler metal and one to hold the parts in alignment. I've got a variety of clamps and magnetic gizmos but much of the stuff is aluminum, so non-magnetic, and most of it seems to be some oddball shape that's not easily clamped. Because of that, I made an additional jaw with a piece of the 1x1 angle welded to it for clamping round parts, and I drilled and countersunk a couple of holes in the piece of flatstock in the foreground to bolt up to the moveable jaw so I can weld something on for a support if need be while trying to position something up.


My side yard just prior to planting. There's something about a newly prepared field in the spring of the year that always makes me smile. Maybe it's the promise of renewal after the long winter, maybe is just the smell of the freshly plowed dirt - I don't know. Regardless, you just don't get it living in town. Of course you don't get the dust blowing in the house and across the roads, or the farm machinery holding up traffic out on those roads either. Small price to pay, though. Hard to beat country living.

No comments: