Saturday, May 12, 2018

The Final Final?


This was the final exam in the Fab class. They had to make the development, then cut out the parts using their resultant patterns and then weld the three pieces together. It took quite a bit of coaching to get the development made. I gave them their choice on cutting the tubing, plasma cutter or oxy-acetylene. They all chose the plasma as I suspected they would, even those who had never used one before. Grinding the cuts to get a good fit and have the elbow come out at 90 degrees was a little tough for a few of them. The real surprise was the quality of the welds. I gave them their choice here as well - MIG or TIG. My job wasn't to teach them how to weld but it looked like no one had on a couple of the pieces turned in - rough! Regardless, they all learned something, no one got hurt and I'm finished teaching once again.


My new windscreen for the sidecar arrived yesterday from Dime City Cycles. Sure looks better than the old one - even if the old one did have the cool AMA inspection sticker on it. I need to trim the top a bit for clearance of the support rod that runs up to the bike but I've got the old one for a pattern. I'll just have to be real careful not to scratch it.


I used the plasma at school to cut out a couple of pieces for the hot rod project before I drug up. These are the bases for the buckets so I can French in the taillights. I've got plenty of projects currently underway but I figured I'd buy the taillights while I was still drawing a check and since I had the lights, might as well avail myself of the college's tools while I was at it.

Pretty productive week. I've been able to post something every day and there was some project progress on a couple of the days. I need to get a tire now for the sidecar and I'll have everything to finish it up. I'm a little behind on my garden, mostly due to the weather. I should be able to have that in this coming week. They are forecasting a bunch of rain, however. Have to play that one as it comes but no shortage of indoor things to work on.

Enjoy your weekend.

No comments: