Thursday, May 17, 2018

Well, Well


I'm going to get a new well here at the shack. It'll be across the driveway and the supply line will run into the basement under the windows in the center of the photo. This necessitated moving all the stones for the retaining wall which was not much of thing. But I also had some concrete to contend with.


This is the piece I needed to move. There was a row of tulips and another bush on the right corner. I was able to get a pry bar under it and lift it up a bit.


The Egyptians moved heavy stones with slaves, I use old Allis. 


Easy enough to move it out of the way, probably not so much to put it back. Plus, there still needs to be a piece cut out next to the house. The well guy says he'll bring the saw and take care of that when he gets here.

The original plan was to come in through the back corner of the house into the crawl space and then zig-zag around to the pump. I called the guy back and told him I'd take care of the concrete repair. Just take the straight line into the basement where it runs right into the pump. That'll save him some work and me some money. Moving the concrete was actually pretty easy. It took longer to transplant the tulips and the bush. Not sure when the well guy will be here. That sort of thing depends on the weather but I'm ready on my end anyway.

It was a good day to be working outside, by the way. Nice sunny day in May. Because it was so nice, I did a couple other outside chores including putting the pitcher pump back on the standpipe. I filled the pump with water and then went for a little bike ride while the leather was soaking. When I came home I went to prime the pump and heard something inside the shop. When I went inside, sure enough, there was another raccoon in there. Fortunately for me, he got himself caught in the trap up top side. However, the trap was sitting on some wood boards straddling the rafters and he managed to wiggle off the boards onto the insulating board that makes up the ceiling. And of course, he had clawed a hole through it and made a mess on the floor below. At least the sidecar wasn't underneath it this time. If I hadn't had gone back to work on the pump he probably would have crashed through the ceiling in a short time. I don't know how that would have ended up.

Looks like I'm going to have to keep the doors closed during the day if I'm not going to be working in there. That'll be a pain in the ass during the nice weather but less aggravation than having a raccoon in there.

I've got a bit of gardening on tap this morning and then back on the projects. 

No comments: