Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Season Opener


First one of the year. Cuzzin Ricky and I went to the races over the weekend. Haubstadt on Saturday for sprint cars and Terre Haute on Sunday for the Silver Crown or champ cars as I prefer. Pork tenderloin was from The Action Track at Terre Haute. Even after me nibbling  around the edges a bit before I took the photo, it's still big as your head.


Rick was looking for an item from Harbor Freight, so we went there before hitting the track on Sunday. I had seen in the sale flyers that they had a new brand of "vise grip" pliers and wanted to check them out. I bought a pair for $6.99 and they seem to be well made - much better than their Pittsburgh branded ones. Having used some of the cheap brands over the years, I always bought the original Petersen brand. They were bought out by Irwin a few years back and still seem to be alright but the ones pictured are about four bucks cheaper. If you are trying to put a tool kit together for yourself or a soon to be graduate, might want to consider these.

Nice looking hot rod in the parking lot at Haubstadt.

Nice looking champ car in the pits at Terre Haute

We had pit passes at Terre Haute so we walked around and gawked a bit. This one above led for quite a bit of the race but faded towards the end. I think he finished fifth. Most all of the champ cars looked real nice - paint jobs were all top notch and the racing was too. Both nights, in fact. Exciting finishes with Kevin Thomas Jr. winning the sprint car race Saturday night. I've become a fan of his - even bought a Kevin Thomas tee shirt. He'll be racing close by this weekend. Depending on the weather, might make it out to one of the shows. Justin Grant won the champ car event.

I got the mower out after I got home from the races and mowed both front and back. So in addition to the season opener at the race track, it's mowing season is officially underway as well. Going to try and keep pecking away at the various projects. Only a few more days to work, only two more days as a student. I don't have any definite travel plans until June, so hope to keep moving forward on the 900 as well as trying to catch up on jobs around the shack. At least the weather is finally nice. The weatherman said it was the fourth coldest April on record - last time it was this cold was 1907 or something like that. We also had more than three inches of snow, when the average is one inch. It's nice now and that's good enough for me.

No comments: