Saturday, October 25, 2014

Jaguar Lightweight E-Type


Photo From Here
The Missus and I took off for an over-nighter so she could attend a meeting in Noblesville. Since I had some time to kill I wandered around a Tractor Supply and a Barnes & Noble. While in Barnes & Noble I stumbled across an Octane magazine. I don't recall ever seeing this magazine before and I probably wouldn't have paid any attention to it this time if it hadn't been for the cover touting Jaguar's new E-Type.  I immediately opened up the magazine to the cover story and low and behold, they're making six new lightweight E-Types like the ones they made in the '60's. Long story short, they originally had planned on making 18 of these things but only 12 were ever constructed. Since they had six serial numbers left over, why not build the cars to go with them? The article estimated the selling price at 2 million English pound sterling - not sure what the exchange rate is these days but you could be safe figuring over 3 million American.

The article goes into some depth on the making of the cars and the fact that Jaguar is strongly promoting its heritage. You'll now be able to take your vintage Jag to their facility and have factory employees work it over. They also just bought out a huge collection of cars, including 130 Jaguars. If I ever make it back to London, I'll definitely have to check out the Heritage workshop at Browns Lane. And sticking to the theme, we got passed on I-65 by a Maserati on the way home - not exactly sure of the model, not knowing my Maseratis very well, but since it was a two door, I believe it was a Gran Turismo. An E-Type or a Maserati Mistral, those were the cars I wanted back then. Who knows, I got the Sportster. Maybe a Jaguar or a Maserati will come my way some day.

On a final note, while looking at the photos in the story about the E-Type, I was thinking it would be nice to have the skills to be a part of a project like that. And then while looking through the adverts I came across J. D. Classics. It just so happens they have an apprentice programme of 24 months duration that would get you those skills. " Training will be provided by the JD Classics team of Sixty Craftsmen, Technicians and Engineers who have a combined experience in excess of 600 years over 150 nut and bolt restorations to date." Email to: apprenticeships@jdclassics.co.uk. Just that simple.

No comments: