Friday, October 31, 2014

Divco & Heat

 
I received a Christmas catalog from Grizzly Industrial the other day and while thumbing through it I came across plans for making a wooden Divco delivery truck. If you've read this blog for any length of time you know I've got a soft spot for old delivery trucks/vans. I must not be the only one if they're selling plans for these things. Plans are $14.95 and the parts kit is $9.95. Might have to put this on my Christmas list. I've already got a couple of model kits that need assembly but if I was still teaching woodshop at the high school, I'd be all over this thing.



In the Christmas came early department, I bought myself a heater for the shop. Menards with their 11% off sale had this one for about the same price as the one from Tractor Supply. This one is supposed to be about 50% quieter than other similar heaters and won't take up much space being that it's only about 16" long x 13" high. I can plug it into the 20 lb. tank from the gas grill but I'm thinking about buying a bigger tank. I rode my bicycle over to the Co-Op where we get our propane for the house to see what they've got for tanks and the fill-up procedure but the route driver wasn't there. The secretary said I should talk to him and gave me a phone number to call, so that's on the to-do list. 

Looks like I can put the heater in the back part of the shop and shoot the heat into the front easily enough. I'd prefer having the tank outside the shop if I end up with something larger than a 20 lb tank. The heater has a 10' hose on it which would give me enough length to do that with the spot I have in mind. Might not be a bad idea to get a carbon monoxide detector for the shop just to be on the safe side. If I'm heating the air from the back part of the shop and blowing into the insulated part, I wouldn't think there would be a problem - not like reheating the same air over and over in a closed space - but I don't need to kill any more brain cells than I already have. 

It'll be nice to work in a heated area - I'm getting to be a big sissy in my old age.

Happy Halloween! 



No comments: