Thursday, August 11, 2016

Kevin's Hat Trick


My buddy Kevin completed the hat trick of Cleopatra's Needles by visiting the third one in Central Park.We saw the other two in Paris and London. The one above has just undergone a thorough cleaning, so he got there at a good time. You can't really tell from this photo but at the base of the obelisk are lobster claws sticking out. I'm not sure of the significance of that but I'm sure Kevin will be able to tell me.

I read Washington's Monument by John Steele Gordon earlier this year that describes the building of the Washington Monument but also covers a general history of obelisks, including Cleopatra's Needles. I didn't realize the significance of the one's in Paris and London at the time of our visit or I would have paid a little more attention. But like Kevin, now that I've seen the other two, I'd like to visit NYC for the third along with the Statue of Liberty, Grand Central Station and a few other spots.



In the meantime, I'll keep plugging away around the shack. I finished up the trim on the fly rafters and I replaced the one roof sheet that had been damaged when the barn came down during construction. Obviously it would have been easier to replace when the roof was down low as in the photo, but I didn't have the replacement sheet at that time. I've got one little piece of trim around one of the roll up doors that still needs installation. It'll only take about five minutes to install it but I need to go buy a piece for that to happen - but it will & soon. They want me to come in a do a little work in the lab at the college. Not sure how long that will take but I'll be on the clock, and if nothing else, I can use the money to start a travel fund for a trip to NYC.

No comments: