Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Sidecar Start


Been a busy couple of days with not much to show for it - seems to be more and more common around here - but I got a lot accomplished just the same. It rained all day Monday and rained a bunch. Too wet to go out and do anything so I tackled a clean-up job inside. Made a pretty big dent in it but I've got a long way to go yet. One of these days I'm going to have to downsize. I'm trying to get a little bit ahead of the game. 

Took the Veloster in yesterday for an oil change and my spare tire kit. I didn't realize the car came with no spare tire until I saw something on the news about it. It came with a 12v air pump and a can of Slime. I suppose that's OK if you run over a nail but any big road hazard and you're going to be in trouble. The kit fits in the well in the trunk and it has a jack, handle, lug wrench, and a small combination wrench - should be everything necessary to fix a flat. When I come home from night school, I'd rather not be farting around along the side of either the state highway or one of the country roads any longer than necessary. I've got a flashlight in the car but it wouldn't hurt to get an extra light and a reflector also. It gets real dark out there at night.

I got some tubing for the sidecar project as you can see in the photo. It wasn't really a priority but I was going by the guy's shop and he wasn't busy, so the time was right. I'll get everything cut to length and coped, then run it up to school with me one of these days and weld it together. I've been moving right along on the VW but I want to get some more headway on the 900 as well. Besides, I'd rather fabricate than turn wrenches.

I need to get my syllabus posted, cut some more grass and tackle a couple more of the little piddly things around here before school starts next week. Only working two days per week again this semester - as it should be! Not really looking forward to going back to work but I do have a couple more things I want to buy before I quit. I'll see what the financial guy has to say when I meet with him later this week. He might have a different opinion.

No comments: