Sunday, August 13, 2017

Drop The Big One



"Boom goes London, Boom Paree - Japanese kimono for you babe, Italian shoes for me." 


So here we go again. If you're my age you grew up with the nuclear threat. Of course, I was born only a few years after the Hiroshima & Nagasaki bombs were dropped and the world saw what atomic bombs were capable of, and no one wanted that to happen again. Especially on us here in the U.S. Ended up that Khrushchev didn't bury us and the Soviet Union fell apart and, for at least a little while, we were sort of safe from the threat of communism and nuclear annihilation. Now we're back at it again with North Korea launching missiles and all the rest of the craziness going on in the world.


I'm guessing all the preppers are going to be changing their focus to nuclear warfare and bugging out isn't going to be a very good option unless you've got a place like this to go to.

Photo From Here

And you're going to have to have plenty of advance warning if you want to get there before you're consumed in the fireball or taken out by the fallout. I don't live too far from Chicago and the news folks say N. Korea could hit it with one of there missiles. I might be OK if the wife and I could live in the basement for a couple of weeks with the dog and cats. Liable to get pretty stinky down there after a few days, however. I need one of those outside air intakes with the filter like in the picture.

I've about done all I'm going to as far as preparing for a disaster. We had the hurricane force winds come through a few years back that knocked the new barn down but we weren't without power for any length of time. We did have an ice storm that left us without power for 4-5 days about 15 years ago. Since the weather was cold, that was a little uncomfortable, but we managed. I was about to start tapping the water heater for our drinking water when help arrived and the power came back on about the same time.

I've since taken further precautions but you can only do so much. My time is running out and I'm not going to waste a lot of it worrying on what ifs. However, if you haven't seen the movie Hiroshima Mon Amour, you might want to seek it out. It was made in 1959 which was just about at the peak of the Cold War. It's a pretty artsy-fartsy love story with the devastation of an atomic bomb thrown in, but you would expect that considering the time period and an avant garde film maker. 



And there's still no good answer to the question of why can't we live together.

Peace

No comments: