Friday, August 4, 2017

Train Rides +

The Missus came across a railroad excursion in Michigan that looks like fun: The Coopersville & Marne Railroad. It's located about 20 miles north of Grand Rapids. Kind of a long way to go for a short train ride, however, coming up on the 12th, they have the Del Shannon car show and train ride. According to the website, they have 500-600 cars lined up as well as a decent helping of motorcycles on display. That'd be worth the drive. Kind of short notice for me, though. I'm scheduled for a 5K that morning - not that I couldn't bail out of that with very little remorse. It would cost me my entry fee as well as my dinner bet with Jimmy. Hate to lose that bet without a fight, though.

Cuzzin Ricky and I considered hitting the Illinois Railway Museum on our way back from Milwaukee a couple of weeks ago. We had talked earlier about a trip to there as well as the car museum in Volo. That'd make for a nice 2-3 day trip. I've never been to the Volo Museum and it's been a long time since I was at the Railway Museum. Need to check both of those out one of these days.

Locally we've got the Hoosier Valley Railroad. I've been on there stuff quite a few times but that's been a while now as well. Last time was when the steam train came through. I should ride the motorbike over one of these nice Saturdays and go for a ride. They go out of business if you don't support them. It's only $12.00 and I've been wanting to shoot a roll or two of B&W.

There's also the New York Central Railroad Museum in Elkhart, IN. I've been there before but Cuzzin Ricky hasn't. We're planning on checking that one out when we go to the Studebaker Museum in South Bend. I told Rick I'm going to the Studebaker museum this year come hell or high water. Absolutely no reason not to go see things that are within a couple of hours of drive time.

I've got a birthday fast approaching. I'm going to be 67. Looking at it realistically, I've got maybe 10 - 15 years left. I've got a lot I want to do and see yet. No sense in wasting any of those precious years laying around the shack. Need to get out and ride the rails!


No comments: