Thursday, September 13, 2018

Cannon Ball

I got a phone call late Tuesday evening that the Motorcycle Cannon Ball Run was coming through Indiana not too far from my place. I had to work yesterday but my boss was kind enough to cover my class for about 45 minutes so I could sneak out early and check out the bikes when they stopped at Kersting's in North Judson. I'm not sure how many bikes are entered in the Rally but there were at least 50 while I was there. Everything had to be pre-1929. There were a bunch of Harleys and Indians, Hendersons, Excelsiors, a couple of Brough Superiors and single cylinder Triumphs. Mostly solo rigs but a couple of sidecars in the mix. One of the hacks had a wicker chair on it - that was cool.

I had ridden my bike to work but wasn't sure if it would be worth riding over there, so I didn't take a camera with me. Bad call on my part. But it was a great day to be out on a motorcycle. I've only ridden my motorcycle a few times this year but after seeing all the old bikes in the Rally, I was thinking that would be a real fun deal. I'd like to do a trip to California but the Missus is going to veto that one. She doesn't care much for me commuting, in fact. I've been fortunate to travel quite a bit the last few years, so I'm not going to press my luck on the motorcycle trip but I've been thinking of making that trip for the last 50 years. I do think that she'd be OK with something like what Moto Quest offers as long as it was a group ride.

I did run into a few guys that I hadn't seen in a while at the Rally stop. It was nice catching up with those guys - something to be said for being retired. One of the guys I saw was also the guy who was kind enough to give me the heads-up about this deal. He's also one of the guys I rode the Cowboy Trail with this summer. We talked a bit about doing another bicycle ride as well as a trip to the  Barber Museum. That's a place I need to get to. They have a vintage weekend coming up soon but I've got too many things going on right now to try and make that. But from what I understand, it's a must see place.

The folks from Janus motorcycles were there as well, by the way. Not too far from their place, actually. Would have been a lovely day to be out on one of their little bikes.

Glad I went. Best of luck to all the entrants. Wish I was riding along.


No comments: