Sunday, September 23, 2018

Racewalking

I did a 3K racewalk yesterday morning. There were two women who took off and left everyone else in their dust right out of the gate. I've been beaten by the one on at least one previous occasion, and since I hadn't trained for this event, I figured the outcome was going to be the same this time. Yep, no different. I'd never seen the other lady before but she was clearly in a class by herself. She had the real goofy looking racewalk form down pat and was stepping out. I came in as the first male finisher which also put me as first in my age group - 50 and up. My running buddy got a second place in her age group. Pretty good morning for the two of us. Actually, it was a real good morning to just be out. Temps were in the high 50's about starting time with clear skies. Pleasant relief from the record setting heat earlier in the week.

I was supposed to go to a baseball game my grandson was playing in later in the afternoon but I got a frantic call from my running buddy about the time I was getting ready to go. The guy who was lined up to wrap hands and work the corner for a couple of the fighters from the gym couldn't make it, so I went to the fights instead of the ball game. I enjoy the fights and I don't mind helping out, but I don't want it to be interfering with my grandpa duties. The Missus went to the game and the grandson has a few more coming up. I'll be sure to make a few of them before the season is over.

Got some good news the other day about the Missus - her cancer is still in remission, so that's a relief. I go for a stress test in about a month to find out how I'm doing. Should be just fine. That was part of the reason for the racewalk - studying for my stress test. Actually that was the first run/racewalk my running buddy and I have done all year. I'm going to try and get at least one more in this year. Lot different from a few years back when my buddy Kevin and I agreed to do at least one per month. I think I got in 13 and he did 15. If I remember correctly, two of those were half marathons. Put a lot of miles in that year but those days are over. I track my resting heart rate and it's about where I like it to be, indicating that I'm in fairly decent shape. No reason to over do it. 

Chilly last night. Winter's not too far off. Time to get a few more things done outside yet this year and make some more travel plans. I got my tourism books from California and Nevada. Going to have to sit down with Cuzzin Ricky and see what we come up with so I can get states number 48 & 49 in the books. 

Have a good week.

No comments: