Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Get Lean - Read a Book - Buy New Jeans




"Go without a coat when it's cold; find out what cold is. Go hungry; keep your existence lean. Wear away the fat, get down to the lean tissue and see what it's all about. The only time you define your character is when you go without. In times of hardship, you find out what you're made of and what you're capable of. If you're never tested, you'll never define your character.

                                                                   - Henry Rollins


September is National Preparedness Month. When we went to the midget race the other day, I would say the majority of the people in attendance were definitely not in any shape to do much of anything of a hard, physical nature. However, this is the kind of event that attracts a lot of typical old guys, so you wouldn't expect a lot of lean, mean characters in that demographic. Many of them I'm sure were veterans who have been tested in the past, however, and have defined their character in battle. Definitely guys I would want in my corner, but it sure wouldn't hurt if we all hit the gym occasionally. Especially since today is 9/11. Good time to remember what can happen at anytime. I saw a television commercial put out by the State of Illinois about getting a kit together for disaster preparedness the other day. If I lived in Illinois, first of all I'd be looking at moving, but I definitely wouldn't be looking to the government for any help during a time of disaster. We'll see how the people on the east coast are doing in a few days if Florence progresses inland as they say it will.

When you hit the gym and get yourself lean you're going to need some new jeans. I came across the Texas Jean Company here the other day. Jeans made in America at a reasonable price. I lost some weight this summer preparing for my bike ride and for health reasons so I'm in the market for a couple of pair of new jeans myself. I'm going to order a pair or two and check them out. 

September is also Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. If you want to be truly prepared, you need to take control of your health and get checked out. Prostate cancer is 100% treatable if detected early.

National Read a Book Day was Sept. 6th. I'm a little behind on promoting that one but I have been reading some books. I'm on number 16 for the year - nothing like I've been doing the last five years or so but I was planning on taking the year off. I just finished the The Oregon Trail by Rinker Buck. It's the story of him and his brother following the Oregon Trail in a covered wagon pulled by a team of mules - good story, highly recommemded. I'm also about two-thirds of the way through Sex, Lies & Handlebar Tape. The story of bicycle racer Jacques Anquetil, the first five time winner of the Tour de France. Interesting story, worth reading if you're a cyclist.

I think I've got most of the bases covered as far as disaster preparation goes now. I'm always reading trying to keep my mind sharp. I hit the gym, ride my bike and walk on a regular basis. I've got some extra food and water, along with candles, flashlights, batteries, etc. I've also got some extra dog and cat food, plus some kitty litter. Hopefully I'll never need any of the emergency supplies but if nothing else, they're a hedge against inflation.

Remember 9/11, and all the people who have experienced losses in the wildfires and other natural disasters lately, and all those preparing for the approaching hurricane out east. on the home front, get ready for whatever comes our way.


4 comments:

Surly said...

There's also Dearborn Denim. They make the jeans in Chicago from US made materials.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I took a look at those but they seem to be about twice the price of the Texas Jean Company ones. Since I'm not burning holes in my jeans like I used to, I'll try a pair or two of the Texas Jeans rather than buying the cheapest ones I can find like I normally do.

Anonymous said...

Your quote from Mr. Rollins is true, but is only one of many ways to test a mans character. As equally important test is how a man reacts to good times. Does he remember his friends and family, help his community and share of himself and resources, or look to new friends higher up the ladder.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Anonymous: Good point. A man of good character is always a man of good character.